How to Prepare for A Divorce
If you and your spouse are preparing for a divorce, it is important to find an attorney that is right for you and your unique situation. No two couples are alike and no two divorce proceedings and rulings will be exactly alike, so it is important to know what you are looking for and what can make finding a divorce attorney easier. Here are ten questions you need to ask when you meet with a divorce attorney for a consultation to see if they are the right fit for your needs:
- How much are your fees, how are payments made, and what are your requirements for a retainer throughout the case?
- Are other fees, costs, and expenses added on that will need to be payed?
- Can you provide a general estimate of what the total cost of the divorce case is going to cost or what similar cases have cost your clients in the past?
- Are there others on the legal team with less experience who can perform some of the less essential work on the case for a lower rate?
- Do you offer a monthly progress report or follow up consultations throughout the case’s proceedings free of charge?
- Will the progress report offer information on cost and progress towards a ruling?
- Are you going personally handle my divorce negotiations or is someone else?
- Will you be suggesting courses of action and offering advice on decisions I need to make in the case or will those decisions be left solely up to me?
- Will I be contacting you for normal day to day questions and needs or will I be working with another member of your staff for minor questions and issues?
- How can I contact you with urgent matters that need immediate answers?
When you are preparing for a divorce, the task of finding a divorce attorney that best suits your wants and needs can be intimidating. Asking questions is the best way to get the information you need and to feel confident in your choice of what attorney to work with. Contact us today at Grunyk Family Law to set up a consultation visit with one of our skilled and experienced divorce attorneys, who would be more than happy to answer any and all of your questions.