The Bunaken National Marine Park was formally established in 1991 and is among the first of Indonesia’s growing system of marine parks. The park covers an entire surface area of 89, 065 hectares, 97 percent of this is overlain by sparkling warm, warm tropical water. The remaining 3 percent of this park is terrestrial, like the 5 islands of Bunaken, Manado Tua, Mantehage, Nain and Siladen. Although each of the islands has a specific character, it’s the aquatic ecosystem that attracts most naturalists. The seas of the Bunaken National Marine Park are incredibly deep, clean, refreshing in temperatures and harbor some of the highest levels of biodiversity in the entire world.

Pick any of type of attention – corals, fish, echinoderms or sponges – and also the number of families, genera or species is bound to be astonishingly large. For instance, 7 of the 8 species of giant clams which occur on earth, happen in Bunaken. The park has about 70 types of coral, compare that to some mere 10 in Hawaii. Though the precise quantity of fish species is unknown, it may be slightly higher than in the Philippines, where two, 500 species, or nearly 70 percent of all fish species known to the Indo western Pacific, are found.

You’ll be picked up from Manado hotel at 7.30 AM, then hauled to a local dive center. Here, you’re likely to receive your snorkeling gear then enjoy the one boat time in Bunaken Island. After coming in Bunaken National Park, you might appreciate the underwater life. You will have numerous different spots for snorkeling throughout this trip. The best way to get there. There are daily flights to Manado, especially from other cities in Indonesia. Singapore Airlines has daily direct flights with Silk Air. The airport is located about half an hour by car from Manado.

You might take a taxi in the airport directly in Bunaken Harbor for about Rp.85.000. If you do need a local sim card with 3G, then you can purchase one at the airport at the small Telkomsel/Simpati store. Nevertheless, 3G coverage is awful in the islands. Bunaken may be readily reached by boat from the town of Manado. By the primary jetty it’s a 45 minute boat ride on the island. In dock which you tell the ship men where you would love to be dropped off, as you are normally taken right to the resort where you left reservations beforehand.

Please visit Indonesia Travel for more detail information.

About The Author