Getting injured is undoubtedly a bad experience, and if you are seriously injured, it may have a far-reaching influence in your life. You may become disabled or unable to do your job or completely become bedridden. Serious physical injuries can lead to mental trauma, nervous breakdown etc. In such a position, finding a capable personal injury lawyer is imperative if you want to get a monetary settlement in damages. But it is often hard for an inexperienced person to pick the best among the many. But there are a few things you can do to make this task easier.
- You can start by asking your family, friends, and well-wishers whether they have worked with any personal injury lawyer. Get details from them including how capable is the lawyer.
- If you have attorneys, then ask them to refer you to a good personal injury lawyer. Owing to their being in the field, they can find you a very capable personal injury lawyer.
- If none of the above routes yields any fruit, you can turn to the internet for help. But make sure to cross-check them. Also, make sure that the firm is locally based. Suppose, you stay in New Westminster, then search for personal injury lawyer New Westminster.
- Now that you have a long list of names and phone numbers, start calling each of them and taking appointments. Meet the lawyers face to face and give them the details of your situation and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Enquire about his/her experience, success rate and whether he/she has ever handled a case like yours or not etc. Sometimes it is very hard to find lawyers with experience in a specific kind of case.
- When you have gone through the steps mentioned above and shortlisted, now ask about the fees they are charging. Hire only a lawyer who bills on the contingent fee agreement.
- Last but not the least, draw up the paperwork and go over every minute detail before signing anything.